Our staff share our dedication to client care. They bring years of experience in the profession to our work and stand by our clients as their cases proceed.
Jeremy Costin is an experienced solicitor with a passion for developing effective solutions for a broad range of clients. Jeremy’s practice is focused on estate planning including wills and probate, and business matters including e-commerce and business information.
Estate Planning and Administration
Jeremy Costin assists clients with wills, trusts, and corporate vehicles to build their succession plans. He advises clients from a “whole picture” perspective, considering the financial as well as very personal aspects of estate planning. Jeremy also helps clients of all ages with incapacity planning, preparing enduring powers of attorney and health care representation agreements.
Jeremy’s estate planning experience runs from corporate reorganizations and tailor-made trust solutions to bringing peace of mind to families with young children or disabled dependants.
Jeremy is experienced with all stages of the probate and estate administration process. Whether the estate is simple or complex, Jeremy can assist executors with the obligations and procedures involved.
Jeremy teaches the wills and estate planning session of the Professional Legal Training Course at the Law Society of B.C.
E-Commerce & Business Information
Jeremy Costin is a pioneer in e-commerce and business information law. He cut his programming teeth on an Apple II in the eighties, hand-coded web pages in the mid-nineties, and was the Curriculum Director for Internet programming at a career college before becoming a lawyer.
The laws dealing with how information is acquired, protected, and used comprise a thread running through all sectors of business, from e-commerce to health care to fishing tourism. Jeremy’s e-commerce and business information experience includes:
- Developing privacy and knowledge management policies for a large health care services company.
- Developing an agreement for information protection and management, including an intellectual property trust, which has been used in biotechnology, aviation, and even app development contracts.
- Drafting the shareholders’ agreement, customized to address significant intellectual property and other intangible asset contributions by founders, for a start-up eco-tech company.
- Advising an international transportation logistics organization regarding the development and maintenance of their mission-critical global software system, including IP succession issues.
- Amending and preparing licence agreements for a multinational e-mail filtering company.
- Setting up one of the first Community Contribution Companies in British Columbia, operated by a global information technology group.
Jeremy Costin takes a leadership role in the community. He is a director of the Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre and a member of its governance and planned giving committees, a director of the Jewish Lawyers Association of British Columbia, an advisor to Chabad of Richmond, and a program coordinator for the Beth Israel Law and Learn program. Jeremy is a frequent guest instructor for the Professional Legal Training Course at the Law Society of BC, and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association.
Jeremy spends his time away from the office with his wife and their little one, and can often be found playing one of his guitars or spinning old blues records.
Areas of practice
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- E-Commerce & Business Information
British Columbia, 2010
University of British Columbia, LL.B. (converted to J.D.)
McMaster University, B.A. (Hons.), summa cum laude
- Ethical Matters in Estate Planning, Temple Sholom, 2017
- Wills and Estates, PLTC, Law Society of British Columbia, 2016
- Buying and Selling a Business, PLTC, Law Society of British Columbia, 2015, 2014
- Business Basics, Small Business BC, 2014
- Contracts – making useful business agreements, Launch Academy, 2014
- Business Structures, Launch Academy, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Jewish Lawyers Association of British Columbia, Director