Sandra is an experienced lawyer, now focusing exclusively on estate litigation as a Senior Associate Lawyer at Onyx Law Group. Her broad legal knowledge comes from having practiced general civil litigation at a full-service law firm for over a decade. She has many years of experience in estate and trusts litigation, which is informed by her background in commercial and shareholders disputes, property claims, family law and employment law. Sandra truly understands not just the financial risks and costs of litigation, but also the emotional costs associated with estate disputes. Her priority is always to find a fair resolution in her clients’ best interests, whether that resolution is reached by settlement, mediation or trial.
Sandra has experience representing all roles or parties to an action, including plaintiffs, defendants, and executors and trustees. She is a good listener and objective advisor. She represents clients in all aspects of estate litigation, including, but not limited to:
- Wills variation actions by spouses or children of a will-maker for a fair share of the estate (section 60 of the Wills, Estates and Succession Act);
- Breach of fiduciary duty actions;
- Committeeship applications (both contested and uncontested);
- Validity of Wills actions;
- Resulting trust actions;
- Dealing with problem executors and trustees, and misuse of power of attorney;
- Passing of accounts for estates and trusts;
- Unjust enrichment and other constructive trust actions.
In her free time, Sandra enjoys reading, camping and spending time with her family.
- B.A. in English Literature from UBC, 2005
- LL.B. from UBC, 2008
- Called to the BC bar in 2009
- Volunteer board member of Richmond Family Place Society, 2016 to 2020 (Chair of the Governance Committee 2018 to 2020)
- Canadian Bar Association, Member 2008 to present
- Volunteer supervising lawyer for Law Students’ Legal Advice Program, 2010 to 2012
- Conversational Cantonese