Family, Estates & Trusts 


Power of Attorney BC

power of attorney in BC vancouver

Lawyers for Powers of Attorney

What is it? How does it work? How do you make one? A power of attorney is not a Will. A power of attorney is only valid while you are alive; in contrast, your Will comes into force only once you die. Essentially, when you are a capable adult, the only person who has legal authority over your affairs is you. A power of attorney is a legal document that allows another person(s) or trust company to manage your money, property, business, taxes, etc. on your behalf.

Incapacity Planning and Enduring Power of Attorney

Why would you want someone to have authority over your affairs while you are alive? This is part of your incapacity planning. If you are very sick or in an accident you may need someone else to sign your documents, file your tax returns, pay your bills, etc. Even your spouse cannot do this without an Enduring Power of Attorney. If you have not set this up in advance, your spouse, family member or friend will have to obtain a court order to be appointed as a committee of your estate (this can be expensive). An enduring power of attorney remains valid when you are incapable (but still alive) so this is the preferred document. You may also appoint an alternate attorney in case your first choice is unable or unwilling to act. For example, if both you and your partner are in a common accident or ill at the same time. There are many technical aspects to a power of attorney and it may be customized to meet your particular needs. It is recommended that you seek professional legal advice to make your enduring power to attorney.

The BC government had provided a free template in case you want to create one for yourself. That resource may be found here.

Representation Agreements

Your attorney, under a power of attorney, cannot make health care decisions for you. You must appoint a substitute decision maker for health and personal care under a separate legal document. In British Columbia, that document is called a Representation Agreement and each jurisdiction will have its own terminology.

We are proud to offer our legal services to the people of Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Surrey, Coquitlam, Kelowna, and all other surrounding areas.

(604) 900-2538

Contact Us

Onyx Law Group represents clients in family law, estate and trust litigation, estate planning and probate matters. Consult with our experienced team at 
(604) 900-2538


Media & Articles

November 29, 2023

Estate Planning: Will Preparation is Important and it’s Easier than You Think

Many Canadians put off estate planning or avoid it altogether. A recent poll of Canadian adults found that 50% don’t have a Last Will and…
November 22, 2023

Trusts and Estate Planning

You’ve worked hard and built assets over your lifetime. Now you are starting to think about your financial legacy. What is the best way t…
November 16, 2023

Inheritance And Divorce: How To Protect Your Child’s Inheritance from Divorce

Parents want to provide for their children. Parents also worry about how inherited assets or inheritance money will be used once in their…
  • We were made to feel valued and heard. Integrity, competence and a passion for justice definitely describes Onyx. They are also caring, compassionate and have a good sense of humour.

  • Thanks to Onyx’s straightforward approach, this litigation was resolved with the best outcome for myself and my children. Although this ordeal was emotionally trying, we can get on with our lives, without added worry and stress.

  • I chose the right law firm and I know our future is on the proper course because of Onyx. I wouldn’t hesitate to tell anyone who needs good legal representation to take my words to heart.

We will find the best way to help you


650 West Georgia Street
Suite 1215 - The Scotia Tower
Vancouver, BC  V6B 4N9

T (604) 900 2538
F (604) 900 2539

New Westminster

26 Fourth Street
Suite 100
New Westminster, BC  V3L 5M4

T (604) 900 2538
F (604) 900 2539


1631 Dickson Avenue
Suite 1100
Kelowna, BC  V1Y 0B5

T (604) 900-2538
F (604) 900-2539

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be considered legal, financial, tax, medical, or any other professional advice.